Friday, March 19, 2010

Are "Mommy Bloggers" Bad Parents?

"Mommy Bloggers." It's a term as polarizing as full-day kindergarten and universal health care. For every person who lives and breathes for using their laptop as a diary, there's another  who thinks blogging is the gateway to child abuse, done by terrible moms who exploit kids' failures and embarrassing moments online just for the sake of a good blog post.
I have lived on both sides of the fence.
When my husband and I decided to adopt back in 2007, I started a blog. It was an outlet for my feelings, questions and frustrations and a way to connect with others who were going through a similar process. With each passing month, the blog grew more readers and suddenly my life's foibles and fears turned into the daily entertainment for thousands of strangers. It was like my readers were BFFs and I couldn't wait to get back to my computer every night to share the stupid thing the doctor said or how the PTA of my son's new school hated me. Next thing I knew, I was more interested in sharing my life online than actually experiencing it - truly. With that so-called success, came a boatload of comments, criticism and judgment... (Keep Reading at Family.com) 

My question to you: Can a blogger do her job to inform, entertain and create conversation and protect her children's privacy at the same time?