Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Schwarzenegger Hides His Love Child

News broke this morning that Arnold Schwarzenegger fathered a child more than ten years ago, hiding that bit of news from wife Maria Shriver until he completed his role as Governator. (Here's the full story)

"After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago," Arnold said in a statement. "I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry."

What Arnold doesn't seem to understand (at least from that statement), is that he pulled a maneuver that makes extramarital sex look as inconsequential as spouting off empty campaign promises. Having sex outside of your marriage is wrong. Very wrong. But as details are uncovered surrounding the Kindergarten Cop's personal life, his affair seems to be the least of it all.

1. Arnold's relations were with a household staffer. Seriously, Arnold? Rumor has it you like the ladies but you can't leave the damn house to find a willing participant? I can't imagine my husband betraying my trust right under the same roof we work on our marriage and raise our children.


2. He covers it up. Bad behavior is one thing. Lying about it for over a decade is absolutely unforgivable. Sure, he didn't want the drama to come out and affect his chance of staying in Sacramento, but how can you look your wife in the face -- you know, the one who gave up her career so you could screw up the entire state of California (yes, I'm bitter) -- and not tell her once during those ten years? I'm sure you're both busy... you up north... Maria working, raising the kids, etc... but you didn't have a second to fess up to the minor fact that you actually have five kids?


3. His co-parent continues to work in their house This is the one that kills me. What the hell is THAT? You father a child, keep it from your wife and continue to employ the woman until her recent retirement, which she claims was on 'good terms' after 20 years.

I'm not sure why this particular story bothers me so much. Arnold's actions are pretty consistent with some other slimy politicians (and non-politicians). But I think what gets to me more than anything is that the media will make this into one of those 'poor Maria' stories.

Who knows what the state of their marriage has been -- only they know. But let's not look at Maria Shriver as the fool  -- It's that crappy-acting, budget-blowing, egotistical, self-serving piece of garbage who's the real fool here. 

I only hope that after the shock and media circus settle down a bit, Maria will be able to continue her role, tapping into her strength and finding an even bigger opportunity to make an impact on today's women. We are not immune to being affected by the actions of those we love, but we can use those actions to become a more enlightened and experienced human being -- something that will ultimately help us find peace within ourselves and ideally pass on to our children.

1 comment:

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I was also not surprised. Horrible behavior is accepted. And many people no longer believe monogamy is achievable.
For anyone who has betrayed their family nothing could be sadder, the fallout is huge, and misery follows.