Friday, November 6, 2009

Facing the Facts

With money tight, we all have to make decisions and sacrifices that we'd rather not make. Eating dinner out... we barely do it anymore. Clothes and shoes? I look but I don't purchase. While those are definitely things we enjoy, they're not nearly as difficult to forgo as my facials. Spending an hour to myself with no kids, no phone and no Internet is not only a gift to my sanity, it's key in keeping my skin from looking like a road map.

Don't believe me?

This morning, as I volunteered in kindergarten, a little girl asked me about the unidentifiable object on my face.

"What's that on your chin?"
"Uh, let's keep reading the story."
"It's red. Right there. What IS it?"
"Ok then, we're moving on..."

60 minutes later, I was having a facial. If my skin problems are noticeable to the not-ready-for-full-day crowd, imagine how I look to the rest of the world.



Frankly, I could hug that little girl. She reminded me there are some things we just can't give up. I'm just thankful she couldn't see my chipped toe nails.

What's something you can't live without?