Saturday, September 12, 2009

In the News: Guatemalan Children Abducted, Given Up for Adoption

When I stumbled across this story on CNN this morning, about how the Guatemalan army would steal children from their parents and hand them over to a government agency to be "sold" to families, my heart sank.

It's unimaginable what these children, their parents -- some of whom were killed in the process -- and now their adoptive parents have suffered through. If someone were to tell me that Lucy was living with us due to horrific, illegal and immoral circumstances, I wouldn't even know what to think or feel. The international adoption process is emotional, difficult and life-altering already, and that's if it goes perfectly.

I have no little gems to write here, or any interesting thoughts up my sleeve. I just wanted to express my profound sadness and sympathy for everyone involved.