Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Am Adopted

On this date over 30 years ago, I walked into a court room -- along with my father, his new wife, Mary, and my ten siblings. I remember the judge being nice and even commenting on my outfit -- I was four years old and still remember this (some things like vanity never change).

That day, Mary adopted all eleven of us. Or, I guess you could say we adopted her. Eleven kids between the ages of four and 19. And yes, she is a bit crazy to do that.

I'm not sure what would've happened to our family had my dad not remarried. But because of her, I was able to grow up in a stable home -- well, as stable as it can be with eleven (then two more) crazy kids -- with security, consistency, and many happy memories.

While I don't see ten siblings following Lucy in adoption, I hope she can look back decades from now and see how much we loved her before we even knew her. And, although she will always have the loss of her birth parents, feel that she's lived a happy and fulfilled life. Because I know I have.

3 comments:

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Enjoyed this post! It will be neat that you can share this experience with your daughter! :)

hugs
Tami
Noah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

God Bless Mary! I know back in High School we gave her a few gray hairs.......

Stellan Bracelets said...

It's so interesting to see life come full circle like this. I've seen it in our own family as well. My mother was adopted when she was 15 months old, her biological mother was a single mom, had other children, and couldn't give my mom the basics she needed in order to thrive. It was both a gift and a sacrifice. She had a wonderful family growing up, and was able to become the person she is now because of it... we're all grateful. She has met her biological family since then, and it's like a big extended family now.

Before my mom met my father, she ended up pregnant, single, and alone. Remembering the gift of life that her own adoptive mother gave to her, she, too, gave my sister up for adoption when my sister was born. She went on to meet my father, and us four siblings were born. I met my sister about 15 years ago, and again, it feels like gaining an extended family. We were SO blessed that things turned out so beautifully all around.

Really, though, we are all adopted into God's family, we didn't do anything to deserve it, yet He loved us before we even knew Him, He wanted us in His family... He wanted us so much that He sent His son to earth for us... what a beautiful gift of life.


Life full circle!