Wednesday, April 1, 2009

About Me

So, you want to know my story, huh?

How it began...

I was born the eleventh child in an Irish Catholic Boston-area family and tend to live every day like I'm still fighting for the last cookie. When I was three, my mother was taken much too soon after a short bout with breast cancer -- an event that has not only defined who I am but shaped how I saw my own family from an early age. I was given a second chance when my father remarried and my ten siblings and I were legally adopted, eventually joined by two more siblings to complete our family of 15.

In 1995, at the age of 23, I drove cross country with $700 in my pocket and all of my belongings in a compact car looking to find a job in television, finding myself along the way. After years of late nights -- filled with both work and play -- I settled down with the love of my life. We got married, had two boys back-to-back and balanced life as a two-income family. Shortly after I gave birth to our second son, I discovered I carried the same genetic mutation my mother had, giving me an 87% chance of being diagnosed with breast cancer in my lifetime. Immediately after that discovery, the lump was found. Refusing a surgical biopsy, I knew what I had to do to ensure my boys grow up with me and not feeling the devastating loss of their mother. With the unwavering support of family and friends, I underwent a bilateral mastectomy. (Note: the lump was not cancerous but pre-cancer was found in my other breast, which doctors said meant 1-5 years away from a breast cancer diagnosis.)

A year later, my husband and I made the decision to follow our hearts and adopt from Taiwan. After a exhausting and emotional journey, our daughter arrived home forever in September, 2008.

My blog chronicles our life as an international family, complete with the good, the bad and the oh-so ugly. But it's not all family all the time. I also write about life as a part-time, work from home mom, things happening in the world, and the stuff I just can't shut up about. Thanks for stopping by. Leave a comment and let me know you're here -- feedback is always welcome!

2 comments:

Frenchy said...

Jack-ay!
First let me say that your life is always filled with open doors..even when others would think they are closed. And secondly I am thrilled to see how well you've done ( but not at all surprised) with finding yourself physically and spiritually during this 'work-out' period of your life. Although I am sure you would have discovered this path without the 'negative' encouragement of a nasty person , you found it and that's all that really matters.

Big Hugs and Kudos to you

Weezie

Anonymous said...

Just read your article..Secret to Mom's sanity...Perfect! Loved it. I have just begun reading your blog and I am in awe. Reading about your double mastectomy, YOU GO GIRL, is all I can say ! Thanks :)
Stephanie Cavalier