Sunday, May 15, 2011

Just Say 'No' to Baby Showers?

This photo from Victoria Beckham's baby shower has been popping up all over the Internet. Posh Spice, who's expecting her fourth child -- and first girl -- is seen wrapped in toilet paper during what looks like a silly shower game.

I don't know what's more surprising, the appearance that Mrs. Beckham could actually have a sense of humor or the fact that she's having a shower for kid #4. I can imagine that after having three boys (11, 8 and 5), she's excited to celebrate the arrival of her little girl, but do you think her celebrity friends are a little annoyed that they have to drop another $500 on a onesie?

Celebrities aside, more women seem to be having baby showers to celebrate the arrival of each and every kid. On the one hand, it's nice to see a fuss made over all babies -- and not just the first -- but for those of us in the real world, is it a little much to expect friends and family to endure the games (and cost of a gift), just because you've decided to become a pro at procreation?

What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

Robin B said...

Jackie, I am SO with you on this one! A baby shower for the first baby is fine--but after that, it just becomes ridiculous.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I refused to have a baby until Neiman's opened, insisted on a Gucci diaper bag...that was for baby number 1....by the time I got to baby number 4 I had a plastic bag from Wal-Mart.
Life has a way of humbling us...unles you are Mrs. Beckham

BensonFam said...

I think it depends on the situation. I've been to a shower for a mom who already had several children, but were now older and this last baby was a surprise (of course after she'd given away all of her baby stuff...) No one minded being there and completely understood why her friends had thrown her another shower. As poor college students when a friend in our little student housing complex would have a baby (1st, 2nd or 4th - it didn't matter) we would all get together to celebrate and usually make her a quilt or thought book or something. We loved each other and wanted to celebrate something amazing in our friend's life. I can see getting annoyed at spending money on gift upon gift for showers you are obviously invited to just for your present, but when it's someone I love, I get excited to celebrate with them.

promisefaith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
promisefaith said...

IMHO I think a baby shower for every baby is wonderful. Why do we make these things all about the gifts? In my opinion baby showers were meant for women to get together and celebrate the birth of a new baby, no matter the birth order.

Maggie said...

I think a shower is fine! Each new baby should be celebrated! I also just love to celebrate any and every occasion possible.

I understand that asking for gifts over and over again is burdensome for friends and family.

I say have a party, but state "no gifts please" on the invite.