Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thanks, Mean Jake!

We hopped out of the car, strapped his backpack on and sprinted. We had less than a minute before the bell -- which is really more like a buzzer --would ring, signaling the kindergartners to line up and begin the day.

As we got to the playground area, I quickly grabbed Jacob's head and planted a kiss on his messy haired-noggin. He jumped in line and started following his classmates in.

"WAIT," I heard him yell, with a panic in his voice that startled me. "I FORGOT SOMETHING!"

"No, honey. You have everything. What is it?"

He came running over to me and planted the sweetest kiss on me, catching me off guard with emotion.

As he ran back in line, catching up with his class, I stood there in silence. Tears streamed down my face. It was one of those moments that makes it all worthwhile. I felt like that little boy in the '70s Coke ad with Mean Joe Green. Except my hero, was my son.



How have your own kids stopped you in your tracks like that?

PS: Who chugs Coke like that?