Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thankful Thursday: Pretty in Pinkeye

When Jacob got out of the pool over the weekend with one eye seeming a bit redder than usual, I figured it was the chlorine. When he woke up the next day with extra crusty sleepies adorning his hazel peepers, it didn't raise any red flags.

Nope. It took messages -- lots of messages. Texts from Jeff... a voice mail from the school... all trying to track me down to inform me that my kid was contaminating room three with his eye disease. And where was I while this was going down? The spa. How often do I take a weekday and head off to have a facial... uh, NEVER. But my skin was begging for some help (really, if you got close enough to my epidermis you could actually hear it cry out for microdermabrasion). So I did a little work that morning and raced off to enjoy an hour of absolute bliss.

The one time I actually get a call from school.

As I slapped my card down to pay for my selfishness, I couldn't help but think I was being punished for taking an hour. The old Catholic guilt reared it's pretty little head.

I picked Jake up and took him immediately to the doctor. You'd think I was a new mom with all the questions, "how does this happen? what does it mean? is this the gateway to lice?" Not sure why I was so panicked, a couple of doses of eye drops later and we were on the road to recovery.



I don't know what I was so freaked out about. I mean come on, any virus with a designated panda bear can't be that bad, right?

This week, (other than wonderfully glowing skin) I am thankful that we discovered Jacob's pinkeye before he could pass it on to his classmates, keeping the other parents at preschool from throwing me and my infectious offspring to the wolves.

What are you thankful for? Come on, don't be shy.