Friday, July 24, 2009

Groove at the End of the Tunnel

My recent post about wanting to get my groove back created a lot of interesting conversations over the past week or two. On one side, people wanted to know what the heck a "groove" was anyway... on the other side, not only those who know what it means, they can absolutely relate.

For me, having my "groove" back means getting back to the things that make me tick, who I am outside of being a mom. There are four areas in my life that, for me, create the groove within: romance, creativity, social and physical. If Jeff and I are getting some date nights in, I'm able to express myself through writing or another outlet, a girls' night happens on occasion and I'm getting regular activities and exercise in throughout the week, I am a happy and fulfilled girl.


My two day getaway with Jeff a couple of weeks back was huge in creating some romance in our house. What an incredible reminder of why I married this guy. No kids to take care of, no schedule to stick to, it was exciting to see how well we clicked when we had a minute to focus on each other. And, having my sister in law (and longtime friend) there was good for the girl soul. I miss spending time with my friends, talking about anything and everything, giggling about nothing.

Since I left my regular job, I've been consulting on a few projects. The fear that I wouldn't continue to stay busy is long gone. Working from home has its own challenges and figuring out how to balance it continues to be a priority. But it feels great to stretch my creative legs on some new stuff, continue to write about the things that are important to me and get to meet and interact with interesting and cool people.

But the biggest part of getting my groove back happened almost immediately after I posted about it last time. I saw an ad for a 6-week Nautilus challenge, recruiting people to try out a not-yet-on-the-market product and get their body in fantastic shape at the same time. I made a call, had an interview, got a callback, did a screen test and just got a call tonight that I WAS SELECTED! I've spent the last five years of my life working, learning, and fighting for what's important to me and my family, getting stronger within myself every day. Now I am going to have the opportunity to get my outward appearance to reflect what I feel inside. And you all get to go along for the ride. I'm sure it will be hard, I will be sore and tired and wonder if I can really get to the finish line but, like life, this is a journey. I am going to try to stay in the moment and enjoy the experience.

Until next time...