Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Yu-Ting's Law

We spent the morning at AIT getting Lucy (the artist formerly known as Yu-Ting) her visa (to go to the US, not shopping, of course). We arrived promptly at 7:45, handed over our cameras and phones to the very serious man at the counter, skipped through the metal detectors and zipped on up to the third floor. After a surprisingly non-stressful passing of the paperwork, we sat and waited an hour and a half for our turn to be interviewed.

During our wait, Lucy walked holding Daddy and Mommy's hand (big step from constantly being carried), smiled, laughed (I did it this time!), blew kisses, and actually kissed me! Jeff and I realized that if we kiss each other and then go in for one from her, she'll oblige.

Of course, the one place during our trip that no cameras were allowed--she decides to show her stuff. And, another funny thing happened at the American Institute in Taiwan... another adopting family--the gorgeous Emma and her parents--were waiting as well. I hadn't seen them sitting on the other side of Jeff until I heard, "is that Lucy?" -- yes, my little Internet star was spotted and recognized from the blog! I have to give Emma's mom, Eva, a shout out here. Nice to meet you today!

After that, we headed on over to meet Uncle Joe. Yes, an actual uncle! My brother-in-law (of 30+ years together with my sister) happens to be on business in Taipei. We were able to see him for a few minutes before his meeting. Guess who saw him and immediately wanted to be held? Yup, it's true.



After we met for a while, Lucy decided it was time to go and literally walked Jeff out to the car. Problem: it wasn't a taxi so Mommy and Daddy had to put the kibbosh on that.


We stopped off for a little lunch on the way back to our room. Man, that little one loves food! (hmmm... a temper, loves food--starting to sound familiar...)

Back at the room, things got a little hard for her... I think she really likes to be outside, experiencing all the things she's never seen. When we're locked in a room, she's reminded of how scary this all is for her. We try to comfort her but it just breaks my heart. I know I can't make it all go away but we're doing everything we can to let her know we love her and we're here for good. The silver lining... all that fussing leads to very restful naps.


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think she could be more precious or beautiful than she already is... wow!!!!!!!! Congrats, mom & dad!!!!! I can't wait to see the brothers with their new sister too!!

I've loved reading your story... thank you so much for sharing!

Shelley said...

Hi there,
I started following your story from time to time after first hearing "A Song for Lucy". As an adoptive mother of two, that song touched me so much. The weeks that we waited for our boys to come home from Korea were torture. I can't even begin to imagine how your journey of waiting nearly a year has felt. After not peeking at your blog for a few weeks, I opened it last night, began to cry and called my husband down to the computer. I couldn't be more happy for your family. You have a beautiful daughter and a great new adventure in front of you. We couldn't be more happy for you.
Congratulations. We wish you the best!
Shelley

Unknown said...

What a wonderful day. Lucy can officially head home in one more day. And I do think every little needs a Visa - if not her own then how about daddy's? ;) It seems daddy would probably give her anything right now.
Miranda too did much better outside the hotel room. She also (still one year plus later) LOVES her food!

Anonymous said...

She is so precious! Wait till she meets her brothers you will be history! Glad you guys are enjoy this time with her. She is gods gift. Very lucy little girl.

William's Family said...

It's both surreal and wonderful to see pictures of Lucy outside the context of SLC. Finally!

RP Mom said...

It is so wonderful to see the pictures with you, Jeff and Lucy!! I know she has two brothers who are very excited for her to come home!! I decided that when Lucy and Paige have their cupcake playdate, we will need to have a glass of wine!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

aww :) love the pics :) Glad AIT went well. I am worried about that part. Sounds like Noah and Lucy are similar. He is usually much better out of the room. well, until he started tryin to go to all the tiawanese folks he sees.

big hugs to yall
Tami
Noah's Mommy
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Rebecca Lily said...

Wow! Beautiful pics!! How cool that she got to meet an uncle in Taipei! Glad AIT went well. I am just amazed at how well she has adjusted. What a wonderful beginning to this NEW family story.

Daria - Boutique Cafe said...

Oh she is such a gorgeous baby Jackie! I'm grinning from ear to ear seeing you together after all this time. Congratulations to you all - what a thrill it is to share in some part of it with your family.

XOXO to Lucy!

Anonymous said...

Jackie,
I have been following your amazing story for the past couple of months and I had not checked your blog since before the weekend. So, when I saw the pictures and the news today, my heart jumped for joy for you and Jeff. Jackie you are such an inspiration, thank you for sharing your story with all of us. I hope to one day follow in your footsteps and adopt from Taiwan. Lucy is beautiful and the luckiest girl in the world. Hopefully, Jeff will write another song when you guys get back?! Looking forward to more updates and advice you learned through your experience.
Congratulations and all the best!

Anonymous said...

How IN LOVE am I right now with LUCY? She is just a little doll. Loving all the updates.

Steve n Coco said...

Look out, world! Here comes Lucy! What a doll, what a princess. And hooray for kisses!!
Courtney

Erica Kain said...

Congratulations you guys, this transition seems to be going so GREAT. What a wonderful, lucky family.

momwithfaithandhope said...

Just like Gracyn. Prefers to be out, and loves to eat. Can't wait to see how much MORE active she gets when she has her brothers around!!! If she's active now, just wait. . .have fun!

Ann said...

Such a doll. It's so great to see her with Daddy. It's not even our journey and I feel all the stress gone!! I'm so happy for you guys. Finally

Anonymous said...

ADORABLE! And the mommy and daddy sure do have a sparkle in their eyes. I'm just so full of joy for you both,your family, and especially, this little miracle from god --- your precious Lucy. Can't wait to meet her, hold her and watch the boys with her. Safe travels Jeff and Jackie......Claire

Megan said...

Jackie,
Lucy is famous after all she was @ SLC for so long! She is so beautiful! What a great first few days. I bet it helped you visited her before. Good luck on your trip home! Can't wait to see little Lucy again!
Lots of love to you in Taiwan
Megan and Kimi

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to meet you, pretty girl!


<3
your cousin (one of dozens),
Janice

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

That sweet little princess is in her families arms finally! Thank heavens! She is such a gorgeous little lovebug isn't she!? I'm glad that she has you to understand her when she's blue too and why she's blue... you're a wonderful mama. Your family is so blessed and fortunate... have a blast being a forever family at last.
=0) Sofa

Saph said...

She is sooo cute!!! Congratulations!! I hope to be able to adopt in the future.

The family of six said...

She is so darling! I love the photo of her leading you out of the hotel - too cute! I hope you are on your way home now!