Monday, September 24, 2007

The Longest Weekend...

The best plan of action for us was to step back and assess the situation. Jeff and I talked endlessly. We saw pictures of the most beautiful baby girl. We discussed what may lie ahead if we accepted the referral. We were terrified about what may lie ahead if we didn't accept the referral. How could we say no?

We pushed our emotions aside long enough to call a pediatrician who specializes in international adoption. She's in Michigan, referred by another member on the Yahoo Adoption Group who was sweet enough to send the names of a few doctors who might be available over the weekend. The doctor offered to look at the baby's records, review and get back to us within 24 hours.

The loooongest 24 hours ever.

21 hours later, she called back. She spoke with me for almost an hour and spelled out every potential risk and statistic for a premature baby born several weeks early.

It was now our decision to make.

No comments: